I have received several questions about how I am going to decorate the nursery. As you saw last week, Jeff and Janie painted a wall in the room a pale pink. That may be as decorated it gets for the next 2 months. (Being stuck in bed sucks!) It's okay though, because the baby will be sharing our room for her first 6 months (I have been asked how I made this decision- it's based on SIDS risk and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations). I will just have to put the nursery together after she is born. Yes, I would prefer to have the nursery all ready when the baby comes home from the hospital, but I have to be flexible here.
My design for the nursery is completely inspired from Rachel Ashwell and her "Shabby Chic" aesthetic. I love that it's so feminine, soft, and simple- and I love the ruffles! I love the antique charm and that it's sophisticated in a way that Pottery Barn Kids is not.
Rachel Ashwell has stores in London, New York, and LA- which I am sure are a little out of my price range- but lucky for me she also has a line at Target. The Target pieces aren't quite the same as what she sells at her New York boutique, but they are still great for supplementing what I create.
We have not bought a crib yet. Don't worry, we HAVE purchased a bassinet for the baby to sleep in while she's in our room. I'm still debating between a white crib verses a dark cherry wood. Why dark cherry? Because we have a dark cherry armoire already in the bedroom. It would make it all fit together I think. If the bedding is right then I think it will still work.
These are the bumpers I purchased (above- green with pink roses. A Rachel Ashwell product). I didn't want the entire bedding set, only the bumpers, but this product is only sold as a set. So I went to Ebay and found the bumpers sold individually AND brand new. Score!

For sheets I'm buying these (also a shabby chic product from Target). What a beautiful vintage-inspired print!
This picture comes from one of Rachel Ashwell's books. I want these ruffles for the crib skirt. No stores offer anything like this, so I will be sewing them.
I'm going to sew this pillow, but with more ruffles perhaps, and place it on the glider. I'm still debating between pink and white. (These are the things I think about as I lay on the couch eating ice cream)
Lastly, on the wall I want to hang a mini quilt like this, except using fabrics in softer hues. I love the bunting!
Writing about all this makes me want to take a trip to the fabric store right now! Ahhh to be stuck in bed.



No comments:
Post a Comment