Luckily Angela's birthday falls during my summer vacation, so I could do some fun things for her. Unfortunately, she's on bed rest, so the fun activities could not involve movement. This limited my options substantially.
A Special Breakfast
Everyone knows that once you've had a Krispy Kreme doughnut, all other doughnuts just can't compare. They are light and fluffy and wonderful. Angela and I were astonished to find that there are no Krispy Kreme doughnut shops in the Houston area! And the "amazing" doughnuts here just aren't very good. I mean they give us free Shipley's doughnuts before our medical school tests, and most of the time I don't even take one because they just aren't that great. It's sad when a doughnut doesn't tempt you.
A few months ago, Angela's co-worker Jill, brought her a Starbuck's old fashion doughnut, and she loved it. After months of doughnut famine, we found a suitable substitute. So first thing in the morning I snuck out and bought Angela Starbuck's old fashion Doughnuts. I bet I'm the only person that has gone into Starbucks to buy doughnuts and not a coffee.
I thought it was a pretty good surprise, but she thought it was a super-amazing-spectacular-surprise. She raved about them for the rest of the day, so I guess I learned the easiest way to a pregnant woman's heart is through her stomach. Luckily, I had also gotten her some strawberry ice cream she had been craving since her hospital visit. These two relatively cheap presents overshadowed many of the more expensive presents I got her. Go figure.
I was barred from photographing breakfast because of the "bed head"
A Nice Dinner
When Angela and I first started dating we did a double date with Justin and Ali (my brother and his wife). Before the double date started (The double date ended with me crashing a go cart) I decided to cook Angela a Peruvian meal I had learned to make on my mission. Angela was VERY worried that it would taste like feet, especially since I had told her the ingredients were rice, steak, and eggs... But actually she ended up loving it, and she still requests that I make it on special occasions. Again, go figure.
Anyway, we had a somewhat fancy Peruvian meal, and drank Juicy Juice, Sparkling Apple juice with it. (This is our new favorite substitute for Martinellis)
Friends and Surprises
While we were eating we got a surprise visit from our friends Teddy and Sarah. It totally surprised us because you usually have to call to get into our apartment complex, but Teddy and Sarah surreptitiously followed someone through the gate.
Sarah made special rice crispy treats. The picture really doesn't do them justice. They were the most incredible rice crispy treats I have ever had.
Hamaker's Make Everything into Competitions
Most of the presents Angela got, she picked out herself. So to make the evening more interesting, Angela had to figure out clues about each present. She was far too clever, and I was only able to stump her on a few. I did get her a couple of surprises, including 2 seasons of Project Runway, Season 5 and Season 6. Since she's stuck on bed rest, I think these were her favorite presents.
I didn't finish her birthday cake until the day after her birthday. I made her favorite cake, angel food cake covered with chocolate cream cheese frosting. Unfortunately the angel food cake pan had a bunch of issues and the bottom pieces fused together so I had major issue pulling the angel food cake out of the pan. I still think it turned out pretty well
Happy Birthday to my wonderful wife, she is one year older and wiser too!


3 comments:
Happy Birthday Angela! Looks like you had the best stationary birthday you could have!
Happy happy birthday Angela!!!
Hey, ALL Hamaker celebrations MUST include some kind of treasure hunt / puzzle / competition. There are no freebies in this family. :-) I know you guys got addicted to KK donuts in Provo...what a perfect b-day surprise!
#------------0-------------#
Post a Comment