Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I had the Best Idea Ever!..... and yet Angela didn't like it

Jeff- here
I've just started my infectious disease class which is quite boring and tedious.  Yesterday as I was studying my notes about Enterobacteriaceae, I started trying to recite out loud the different characteristics of Serratia, Shegella, and Kiebsiella (Angela is such a good sport and acts like what I am saying is very interesting and it's not annoying at all that I'm reciting all of these things out loud). 

AND THEN it dawns on me!!!   Some of these bacterial names would make amazing baby names.
I mean Shegella is really quite a beautiful name. Say it a couple of times Shegella, Shegella, Shegella... and she could go by Ella!! 

I know what you are all thinking, why am I sharing this amazing name with the world so that its uniqueness can be stolen by some blog-spying-couple whose due date is before ours?!? Well the truth is,  is that Angela didn't find my suggestion all that inspiring.  I admit that some of the other bacterial names I proposed were not as good as shegella, like morganella, providencia, pneumococcus, or enterobacter (in retrospect probably a better boys name), but SHEGELLA is really a great name!
Well, as we were discussing this great idea at lunch, some fellow student decided to chime in, and inform Angela that Shegella causes diarrhea and blood in your stool--- the wheels of innovation once again haulted by diarrhea!  Perhaps someone else out there will use my great name on their child and give me credit for it.
The red things are Shegella; I think they're quite beautiful.

2 comments:

~Ali said...

I'll give you an 'A' for effort and creativity, Jeff. But, maybe you should the decision of the name to Angela.

Janie said...

They are beautiful, but I saw a really pretty picture of meningitis bacteria in human airway cells and...well, probably any name ending in "itis"...? Better stick with Ali's suggestion, Son.
#--------0---------#