Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Day 1


This morning we woke up and said goodbye to our home, hopped in the moving van and headed towards New Mexico. We had no idea what awaited us. Turns out New Mexico is just as amazing as Wyoming. Utah on the other hand had some beautiful sites we enjoyed driving past.

One last good bye to the beautiful mountains of Utah.

I really enjoyed driving through southern Utah around arches national park.


Then we drove and drove. We knew we had reached New Mexico when we saw tumble weeds blowing across the road (Seriously!). During our 11 hour car ride today we learned a few interesting things: Do you know the name for those bumpy things in the road that make a terrible sound when you drive over them to wake you up if you are falling asleep??? They are called "Rumble strips." And we learned from several signs that a stretch of highway near Price, Utah is patrolled by aircraft! We were very careful to watch our speed so an airplane or helicopter wouldn't pull us over! (seriously, how would that work???). Third, Snoopy has a thrift store in Colorado. Fourth, New Mexico may be the real location of Andalasia since its welcome sign informs all who pass that New Mexico is the "Land of Enchantment"When I look at New Mexico, I definitely think land of enchantment!


This picture is included for the Hamakers... its a long story.

4 comments:

Andrea and Forrest said...

Thanks for all of the pictures! Forrest is especially loving them since he's a road trip junky.

~Ali said...

I sure hope no one darted in the moving van! :)

Jessica said...

I am so glad you are blogging your trip. How are the books on tape? Have you listened to wee free men yet?

Amy said...

HAHAHAHAH the van is perfect