It snowed here in Texas!!
Seriously, what is with this weather. I tried to complain to my brother, Eric, about how I have had to scrape ice off of my car almost everyday this year. I forgot who I was talking to, though. He immediately stopped me at the pass... "you are going to complain to me about cold! I live in CANADA." It appears that even as cold and as miserable as our weather has been it can't compete with the -40 experienced in Canada.
Nevertheless, here is our snow day. Schools were canceled. Streets were closed. People were acting like the Apocalypse had begun. It was mayhem. Fortunately I had plenty of Utah driving experience to simply laugh and avoid all of the snow-scared Texans. The med-students and other students had the day off. But the residents and other essential staff made our way around the craziness to the hospital.
Texas driving 101: When driving up a hill in icy condition, drive ridiculously slow. If you hit even the slightest bit of ice, slam on your breaks. If this happens to you while you are on a hill, your car will begin sliding back down the hill. At this point panic! Alternate hitting the gas and slamming on your break in rapid sequence. This will allow your tires to spin out of control and hopefully get you facing perpendicular at the bottom of the hill. Then, turn off your car and give-up. Hopefully the thin layer of ice will have melted in 45 mins and you can proceed. (I really did witness multiple cars doing such things)
Christine was very excited for the snow. She had just returned from Utah and knew exactly how fun snow could be... unfortunately she quickly realized making a snow man out of such a small amount of snow is a little difficult.
With a little help from Mom, she made it work though. A real Texas Snowman!
When you zoom in, it almost looks like a real snowman. Christine insisted it needed a carrot nose. Thank goodness for Baby carrots!On another day when we were having possible ice, Angela attempted to take the kids to the Library. To avoid the previously outlined Texas-ice-driving maneuvers the police and fire department had placed their vehicles to block all bridges in Temple. Angela could not believe it! but then again she had not seen the morning commuters a few days earlier!

No comments:
Post a Comment