Sunday, January 30, 2011

Green Beans?

At our last check-up Christine's pediatrician encouraged us to start introducing solid foods to Christine. Apparently the "thicker stuff" stays down better and will help with the GERD. So we started with rice cereal. Christine was very excited for the new experience and now LOVES her daily rice cereal. Once we got used to rice cereal (and waited the appropriate amount of time to ensure she was not allergic) we pulled out the good stuff... vegetables!

When I was standing in the grocery aisle looking at the enormous selection of food available to feed "supported sitters" trying to decide which ones to start with, I remembered hearing somewhere that you should start with the gross vegetables first before introducing sweet foods like peaches. So I thought to myself, which is the worst tasting vegetable? easy! green beans!

I'm sure my family is all laughing right now, but for those of you who do not know me very well, I do not enjoy green beans. When I was a child I protested green beans at the dinner table with "I hate green beans" stickers that I created. When Jeff and I were newlyweds and combining our pantry items into our new apartment somehow all of Jeff's cans of green beans ended up being donated to the local food shelter. Poor Jeff hasn't had green beans since (nor has he had hot dogs, but that's another story).

We wanted to document her first experience with green beans:

Spoonful of green beans is approaching
the spoon enters her mouth
WOA! that's not rice cereal!
"I don't know if I like that..."
Don't worry Christine, it only gets better from here. There is nothing worse than green beans.

3 comments:

Katie B said...

I was going to ask you if you started feeding her... but forgot. It's peas that ruffles the boys feathers. If I do more than four bites in a row, they start gagging.

How can you not like green beans, they're my favorite! We'll have you over for dinner and serve just my favorite vegetable! (though it's pretty gross in baby food form)

Ashley Keyes said...

Hahaha!!! Green beans! This post cracked me up :) Remember when you were making the I hate green bean badges and mom burned them?

Janie said...

Hey...peaches may not be a slam dunk if she takes after her daddy! The Big Boys used to feed Jeff peaches just to watch him gag and make horrid faces!! AAAAHHHHH...brotherly love!
#----------0------------#