Well, it is not totally responsibility free, but we do have substantially more free time, which I have been really enjoying.
Angela is well on her way to bringing a new son into the family, which we are getting more and more excited about.
Angela has very hard pregnancies with bad nausea followed by early labor. So it has been a wonderful blessing to have so much time at home to help out. It has also given me a new appreciation of how hard it is to take care of a 2 year-old full time. I thought I understood how hard it was, but until you are doing it day in and day out, I don't think you can really understand how taxing it can be. I have also realized just how wonderful it is as well. When my patience has been at the breaking point, my little Christine will do something that just melts my heart. One of those moments came on Valentine's Day.
On Valentine's Day Angela asked her why she loves her Daddy and this is what she said:
I love you Daddy because you pray with me, because you watch Mickey Mouse with me, plays go to Costco with me, when you lay on my Minnie Mouse couch with me, because you sing the rubber ducky song, because you play in the bath tub with me, because you play go-getters with me, because you go to the park with me, because you sing "go walking" to me, because you make waffles for me. I love you sooo much.
Other things we have been up to:
We have done some cooking together. We made Pioneer Women's Blackberry Cobbler for the annual Ward Chili Cook-off, and we won 3rd place! (I can't believe it didn't win first place, but there is no accounting for taste :) ). We got a whole half-gallon of Cookies and Cream Blue Bell Ice Cream.
Our big project for January was to de-clutter the house. It appears over the last 4 years we have accumulated quite a bit of junk. I finally broke down and threw out most of my old BYU notes. It was hard to part with them.
During February, I had to go to school more often, so Angela was left to do some projects on her own. She is having typical nesting urges, but since we are hopefully moving before the baby arrives she's been channeling that energy into boy sewing projects. I have been amazed by all she has done. You can check out a few of the items on her blog. We are going to be as ready as we can be when that boy arrives.
We have also been looking through houses online, reading books about buying houses, and doing research on everything from taxes to realtors. All in all we have been very busy, but with things that are not that interesting to post about.
Friday is the big day when we find out where I have matched to. So we'll keep everyone posted.
Lastly, during your fourth year of medical school you take a lot of classes in the "soft sciences"- like poetry in medicine. Now I admit, I was prepared for a nice hour and half snooze when I found out we were having a lecture on the poetry of medicine, but the class actually was quite enjoyable. Our professor, an old retired doctor, shared with us some of his favorite poems. He said that Dr. DeBakey (the most famous Baylor Surgeon) one night was having trouble sleeping after losing a patient. He said he turned to an anthology of poetry book and found solace in its writing. To really understand why this is such a remarkable story you have to know some of the other awful stories told about Dr. DeBakey. It seems that even the hardest of surgeons must turn somewhere for peace. If only he had opened a Book of Mormon, he might have found peace forever.
Poetry, though not as good as scripture, can still be very powerful and make one reflect. This poem was one they shared in the class that I enjoyed.
She never puts her toys away;
Just leaves them scattered where they lay -
I try to scold her, and I say
"You make me mad!"
But when to bed she has to chase,
The toys she left about the place
Remind me of her shining face,
And make me glad.
When she grows up and gathers poise
I'll miss her harum-scarum noise,
And look in vain for scattered toys -
And I'll be sad.
- Nick Kenny
No comments:
Post a Comment