Sunday, September 16, 2012

Today

Anybody remember how sick I got when I was pregnant with Christine? Well being so crazy nauseated makes it really hard trying to hide being pregnant. Today at church, mid-conversation with someone I had to run to the bathroom to throw-up. Afterwards I was in pretty bad shape and had to leave. I think about twenty people witnessed my odd behavior and were swarming Jeff asking if I was okay. What can you do but tell them that we are pregnant? Since such a large amount of people know I guess it's time to tell everyone, I am pregnant.

I'm not very far along. Maybe 8 weeks? I go into the doctor tomorrow and he'll be able to measure the baby and determine how far along I am. I hesitate to tell people so early because we had a miscarriage a few months ago. But I can't hide the nausea and I don't want anybody to worry that I am dying, or wonder why I haven't posted on the blog, or think that I hate playgroup because I quit going. And I'm a little tired of talking to people and having them ask me what I have been up to during the week and have to make stuff up. Because the truth is I have been curled up in a ball on the bathroom rug in front of the toilet. all. week. long.

Luckily my doctor called in a prescription of Zofran to help with the nausea, and it helps a lot. But I'm still throwing up.

I know you are all wondering about pregnancy cravings. I get serious cravings when I am pregnant. Jeff and I knew that we were pregnant before taking a pregnancy test because I had been tired all week and one day after a long nap in the middle of the day I woke up with a crazy craving for chocolate covered graham crackers and sour cream and onion chips with Lays Dip. We had to run to the store immediately and get them, and I started eating them in the car because I couldn't wait any longer. They were the BEST THING I had EVER eaten.

After taking Christine to her 2 year check-up I was driving home and NEEDED a Burger King hamburger and french fries. The thing with cravings is that they haunt me. I get this thought of a certain food and I cannot stop thinking about it until I get it. When I was pregnant with Christine, Jeff had to endure two weeks of me talking about Winger's Sticky Finger Chicken Salad (something I ate maybe twice in my life, but there are no Wingers in Houston). Then Jeff had the brilliant idea to find a knock-off recipe online. Oh, how I loved him that day.

One last craving story. I was watching my friend's kids while she went to the doctor and we were reading picture books. One of the books we read was about this boy who goes to the store with his mom and the doughnuts are on sale "buy one dozen- get a dinosaur free" the rest of the book is about the dinosaurs but all I could think about were glazed doughnuts. I couldn't stop thinking about them all night long, and by the next morning I had turned into this monster "MUST HAVE GLAZED DOUGHNUTS!!!!" so Jeff went with me to the grocery store to get some doughnuts. That is true love.

7 comments:

Alison said...

Congrats! I hope the Zofran helps.. I was super lucky to not be sick this pregnancy, but I'm SO tired. I feel like a lazy bum! I totally understand cravings, sadly if I see anything on a commercial or internet I'll want it, BAD. :) I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly and you both are healthy! All the best!

Robyn said...

Congrats!!! I hope the sickness doesn't last as long as your last pregnancy. So when exactly are you due? Good luck with everything, including 4th year of med school!

Diane said...

Wow congrats! That is too bad about morning sickness! That is the worst! Ever tried those Prego Pops? Those tend to help with nausea. I read that dinosaur book over at Laura Weight's house like a week ago. Funny!

Katie B said...

Ahhh I'm so excited!!!! You totally had me fooled last week, you didn't seem sick at all. You're a good actress. I'm so glad we didn't have to burden you with the kids, that would have been so hard. I hope the queasiness takes it a little easier on you this go-around. Keep us posted on how things go. Yay!!

Party of Five said...

nCongratulations from the Utah Smith's! We just welcomed Aubrey Jane 3 weeks ago, but I can still remember feeling that sick, trying to figure out how I was going to take care of 4 children while hurling my guts out! Thank you zofran! But, being this sick is a good sign, so I hope all goes well, good luck!

Jeff and Becca Bauer said...

Congrats you guys! How exciting! I hope you feel better soon! The pressure point wristbands and peppermint oil helped me the most. Morning sickness is the worst!

Katrina said...

Oh see! I should have read your blog YESTERDAY instead of worrying about you all day! It's totally unfair that you have be that sick in order to be so happy when you baby is born. Wait! I actually don't think it requires all that sickness to be super happy, a baby is happy all by itself right?
Anyway, please let me know when/how I can help!