Wednesday, October 19, 2011

a little update

Its been over two months since I have posted. Woops! We have been crazy busy here and the blog usually is the first thing to go off my to-do list. The biggest reason for this is that Jeff is doing his surgery rotation. Surgery has pretty bad hours and Jeff is hardly ever home. This means I have been a single parent for a while now and it drains ALL of my energy. We knew it would be this way so Christine and I hopped on a plane and flew out to Utah for two weeks to spend some time with my family while Jeff did liver transplants.

Things we have been up to:

Christine turned one! I had grand ideas for a birthday party with her little friends, but with Jeff living at the hospital we decided to keep things really simple. We just picked up some little presents for her and enjoyed playing with her around the house.
Christine got super sick. Turned out to be a bought of gastroenteritis with some secondary complications. This was the first time she's been really sick. She threw up everything I gave her. I ended up having to force pedialyte down her throat using a syringe to keep her hydrated for several days. We went back to the doctor and he gave her a prescription for Zofran. I am a big fan of Zofran now, as soon as she had the medicine in her she could keep down her formula. She lost a lot of weight during that time though, poor girl. We survived the hard days because, lucky for me, Jeff's parents live only an hour away.  So Christine and I stayed with them for a few days, it was so nice to have help taking care of Christine. It was an added bonus that they let us use their washing machine. I washed so many loads of laundry that week. One night I went through all of Christine's sheets (because she kept vomiting-- this was before the Zofran) and then I moved her into bed with me and placed her on top of a towel and then she leaned just over the towel and threw up all over the bed sheets... more sheet changing! Those were long, hard days. The doctor gave me a special diet for Christine after he prescribed her anti-nausea medicine, we had to switch over to soy formula and give her things like angel food cake. We are completely back to normal now. We just saw the doctor again and got the clear for switching to whole milk.
Christine cut four upper teeth all at the same time. This was at the end of the gastroenteritis. (bad timing!) I am glad that she finally has teeth to chomp her food with. Finally we can introduce more real food.


2 comments:

Katie B said...

Surgery's the worst. And I imagine a surgery rotation is even more fun! Christine's such a little grown up! How terrible she was so sick, glad you could have some help. Miss you guys!

~Ali said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Christine getting sick. I'm glad to hear things are getting better. Hopefully surgery is over. I did the same thing and visited family. But just get used to the single parent thing...for a few more years anyway. :)