Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Amazing Book Sale

My sister-in-law Ali told us about a booksale that they do at the local library twice a year.  She said it was a great place to pick-up children books for cheap... but what she didn't say was just how AMAZING this book sale is!!
I've always enjoyed getting a good deal on stuff, but in Angela's family, bargain searching is somehwere between an art and an obsession.  So when she heard about the bargain booksale, that bargain buying blood started boiling in her and she could not wait to find some amazing deals.  
My family is famous for turning everthing, everywhere into a competition!  So I decided that we should take seperate bags and see who could find the best bargain book!!

With the competition brewing in my head and the bargains in Angela's, we didn't sleep much Friday night.
We got up early on Saturday to be the first in line.  Well, technically I was the first in line and Angela was second in line.  All rules of "girls go first" and "be a gentlemen" and "don't push the pregnant lady out of the way" don't apply when there is a serious competition at hand.
When they finally let us in, we made a mad dash for the children books, and here was our loot!

This version of Green Eggs and Ham has pop-out flaps and has thick board pages.

All in all we bought 43 books.  Since we only had about 5 children's books before, this was a significant improvement.  Some of them needed some taping and cleaning, but I think they all are in very good conditioning.  How much did we spend to get all these books....... $11.50  That's right, we could not believe it.  You can't even buy one nice children's book for that price, and we bought 43!


But we still have a problem.  Who won the competition?  We can't decide, so we put up a pole on the side of this blog so everyone can vote on which book was the best find. 
We need your vote, or we won't know who won (anyone that knows the Hamaker's knows how important it is to have a winner!)

4 comments:

Katie B said...

Holy Amazing deal! You better believe we're going to the next one! Do all the libraries have one? Man, I'm totally jealous!

Oh yeah, make sure I find out which dentist you went to. Gotta get that done!

Yimleej said...

Go Dog Go! I love that book!

~Ali said...

That is fantastic!!! I'm so glad you went and found some good finds. It was something I always looked forward to. I totally believe that you could never have too many books. I will NEVER pass up a book sale.

You got some great finds. I love the book "Harolds purple crayon". And the Madeline books are very cute. And Elle has always loved the Dr. Suess's, "Marvin K. Mooney will you please go now". She had that one memorized when she was really little.

Now that you have started your collection, the next thing to do is to read, read and read some more to your baby. I am very passionate about that and I think that is one of the best things you could do as a parent.

Janie said...

Marvin K Mooney AND Green Eggs and Ham are the obvious winners from the Original Hamaker 8 :-) But I will definitely come over and read I Was So Mad...looks darling!
#----------0----------#