Time for our Halloween update! For October this year Jeff had to work at a burn center in San Antonio. It was a great experience for him to get training on severe burn patients (super severe- like 95% of the body covered in burns severe). The hospital provided a hotel room for Jeff for the month and we thought we would all move to San Antonio for the month and have fun living in a big city again. We had heard from some other surgery resident friends who brought their kids that it was fun and they just ate pizza a lot during the month, so we thought sure this could be fun. HAHAHA no. It was not fun. Living in a hotel sucks. Taking the kids to fast food restaurants by myself everyday is not fun. Having the kids sleep (or should I say NOT sleep) in a place that is not their own room is not fun. Trying to fit a visit to the children's museum around nap time is not fun. Having to buy milk a half gallon at a time/ having to go to the grocery store every day to buy said milk is not fun. I thought hey! I'll be able to go to JoAnns! then I went and it was crazy crowded/busy that you have to take a ticket to get your fabric cut, then your ticket is like 30 numbers away from being called which means at least an hour wait. I had to leave the store empty handed after waiting for 30 minutes because Jacob was screaming so much. And did I mention the horrible traffic? Sure made me appreciate Temple a LOT more. The kids were so grumpy the entire time. Even after buying them special new toys and an entire season of Sophia the first. UG! I hated it so bad and only lasted a week. I said "sorry Jeff I love you, but see you in a few weeks."
It was rough being a single mom for a month, but at least we were at home with our beds/crib and highchair, and a refrigerator and a washing machine, and ALL our toys, and our BACKYARD to run in and the jumper-roo to strap Jacob into to get a few minutes of peace. Then I got super sick and was REALLY grateful to be at home. Side story- I couldn't find anyone to watch my kids while I went to the doctor's so I just brought them with me and I had to get a steroid shot in my ....ahem. Christine was fascinated/horrified by the event. The nurse was laughing so hard at Christine's face when she administered the shot. Then the next day at preschool she told her entire class about how her mommy had to get a shot in her BUM!
By the end of the month I was exhausted and tired of being a single mom. My mother in law was in Brazil for most of October but as soon as she got back you can bet that we rushed over to Houston for some GiGi time! The kids had a blast being at Gigi's.Gigi helped us have some Halloween fun. We painted pumpkins and went to a pumpkin patch. Okay it's not really a pumpkin patch- it's called Old MacDonald's farm and it's a petting zoo with a playground and a train and some pumpkins on some picnic tables- it was AWESOME. Especially after such a rough month.
The highlight for Christine was getting to ride a pony!
Jacob was weary of the animals, but Christine liked feeding the animals.
Cinderella HAD to come along too
Then we got to go Trick or Treating! Since I wasn't planning on having access to my sewing machine for the month I just let Christine pick out a costume from Walmart. She picked Snow White- her favorite princess at the moment. Jacob was an Owl. I wanted to dress him as Prince Charming and Christine wanted him to be a squirrel. The owl won out because it was easy to make and I convinced Christine that there were owls in Snow white too (not true however)
Christine was tired and had a break-down before leaving, so we almost didn't even go. But we did! We kept it short and visited only a few houses on the block. Jacob LOVED knocking on the doors, and got REALLY excited about the candy. That boy loves candy.
When we got back to the house the kids dumped their bags out to look at all their candy. I love this picture so much because it reminds me of when I was a kid. Examining the candy loot definitely is the best part of Halloween.









1 comment:
haha! That story was hilarious Angela. I was laughing so loud the kids came running to see what it was. So I told them and they looked terrified.
I am so sorry you had to add that to your terrible month of being a single mom.
and Yeah for posting. all three of us sisters have tried to blog again :)
Post a Comment